Universal Service in the Postal Sector
Government Emergency Ordinance no. 13/2013 on postal services, with the subsequent amendments and completions, defines a person’s right of access to universal service as the right to benefit from the continuous provision of postal services within the scope of universal service, at a certain quality level, in any location on the national territory, at affordable tariffs for all users.
Postal services within the scope of universal service are:
- clearance, sorting, transport and delivery of domestic and cross-border postal items consisting of items of correspondence, printed matter and small parcels, weighing up to (including) 2 kg;
- clearance, sorting, transport and delivery of domestic and cross-border postal parcel up to (including) 10 kg;
- distribution of postal parcels up to (including) 20 kg, sent from abroad to an address on the Romanian territory;
- the service for registered items dealing with postal items in the category under indent a);
- the service for insured items dealing with the postal items in the categories under indents a) to c);
- clearance, sorting, transport and delivery of domestic and cross-border cecograms;
- any other postal services established under the law, if these services meet certain social or economic needs of the users which cannot not be satisfied in the context of a competitive market.
Universal service providers in the postal services field are designated under the provisions of ANCOM President’s Decision no. 541/2013 on the conditions and procedure for the designation of universal service providers in the postal services field, with the subsequent amendments and completions.
Reports, surveys, analyses and other such documents in the postal services field, as well as those for monitoring and verifying compliance with the provisions under the normative acts in force, are provided for by the secondary legislative framework laid down by ANCOM President’s Decision no. 314/2017 on the postal providers’ reporting statistical data.
Designation of CNPR as Universal Service Provider
Quality and conditions for the provision of Universal Service