Harmonised short national numbers
On grounds of Article 10(4) of Directive 2002/21/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on a common regulatory framework for electronic communications networks and services (Framework-directive), the European Commission adopted the Commission Decision 2007/116/EC on reserving the national numbering range beginning with ‘116’ for harmonised numbers for harmonised services of social value, amended and completed by the Commission Decision 2007/698/CE and .
- elaborated ANRCTI President’s Decision no.321/2008 on the allocation and use of national short numbers for European harmonised services. The decision, which also applies to national numbers in the 116(xyz) range, was published in the Romanian Official Journal no.328/25.04.2008 and entered into force on 28 April 2008;
- published, on its website, the 116(xyz) numbers opened for allocation, specifying the conditions for the service to be provided by means of these numbers, as regulated in the annex to the Commission Decision 2007/116/CE, amended by Decisions 2007/698/EC and 2009/884/EC.
As a Member State, Romania has the obligation to ensure only the availability for allocation of the numbers defined in this act, not the actual implementation of these numbers. Therefore, if no provider of publicly available electronic communications services in Romania were interested in the allocation of these numbers, ANCOM could not impose a certain provider to supply services by means of these numbers. Nevertheless, ANCOM took all the steps with a view to promoting the use of these numbers.
- 116000 – for the service ”Hotline for missing children”, available permanently. This service:
- takes calls reporting missing children and passes them on to the Police;
- offers guidance to and supports the persons responsible for the missing child;
- supports the investigation.
- 116111 – for the service ”Child helpline”, specifying the availability limits, when it is not permanently available. This service:
- helps children in need of care and protection and links them to various organisations and resources;
- provides children with an opportunity to express their concerns, talk about issues directly affecting them and contact someone in an emergency situation.
- 116123 – for the service ”emotional support helpline”, specifying the availability limits, when it is not permanently available. This service:
- enables the caller to benefit from a genuine human relationship based on non-judgemental listening;
- offers emotional support to callers suffering from loneliness, in a state of psychological crisis, or contemplating suicide.
- 116006 – for the service “helpline for victims of crime”. This service:
- enables the victims of crimes to get emotional support in such circumstances, to be informed about their rights and about ways to claim their rights, as well as to be to be referred to the relevant organisations which may grant them support.
- provides information about:local police and criminal justice proceedings and possibilities of compensation and insurance matters.
- provides support in finding other sources of help relevant to the victims of crime.
- 116117 – for the service “Non-emergency medical on-call service”. This service:
- directs callers to the medical assistance appropriate to their needs, which are urgent but non-life-threatening, especially, but not exclusively, outside normal office hours, over the weekend and on public holidays.
- it connects the caller to a skilled and supported call-handler, or connects the caller directly to a qualified medical practitioner or clinician.
In Romania, the Authority allotted to S.C. Romtelecom S.A., in 2008, the first two national numbers for harmonised services of social value, namely:
- 116000 – for the service ”Hotline for missing children”, provided by the non-governmental organisation FOCUS – ROMANIA;
- 116111 – for the service ”Child helpline”, provided by the non-governmental organisation ASOCIATIA TELEFONUL COPILULUI.
Later on, in February 2012, ANCOM allotted to S.C. TRANS TEL SERVICES S.R.L. the third national number for harmonised services of social value:
- 116123 – for the service “emotional support helpline”. The number is assigned to the General Directorate of Social Assistance of Bucharest Municipality, which is to provide the service of social value by means of the Centre for the prevention of child and adolescent attempted suicide within the Clinical Psychiatric Hospital Prof. Dr. Alexandru Obregia.
The numbers 1160065and 116117are still open for allocation.